I am not sure if it's just a growth spurt, or if it is indeed a change in habits, but this little man has made a significant change in his eating and sleeping patterns as of late. Emmett is typically ready to cash in his chips for the night around 6 or 6:30pm. He receives his last feeding then and will typically make it 10-12 hrs until he wakes to be fed again. This has been wonderful for me. I am slowly getting accustomed to sleeping through the night like he is and it's done a lot for my spirits and energy! Even if it doesn't last long, I'll enjoy it while it does!
This long stretch of sleep at night does require that Emmett get all of his milk in during the remaining 12-14 hrs of the day. This means he is eating nearly every 2 - 2.5 hrs while he is awake. I have switched to primarily feeding him expressed milk from a bottle, as there are many days that I cannot keep up. He has a healthy appetite! We tried to supplement with some formula for a few days, but I think he had an adverse reaction to the formula (bad rash and fussiness). We will try another kind at some point in the future.
Or, I could leave Anna in charge and his diet would be taken care of with sips of milk from her sippy cup, and tastes of goldfish crackers - both of which I had to rescue Emmett from at the last minute just yesterday. HA!
Naptime is still all over the map. Emmett is not a consistent napper, he gets lots of short 30-45 min naps throughout the day if we are home or outside. It seems the only time he will take very long naps are when he's in the car and then if he remains in his carseat he will sleep until I need to wake him (typically after 2-3 hrs)! At nighttime and for some naps he is still in his bassinet as he seems to like close quarters. Soon we will need to transition him to his crib.
I am thoroughly enjoying this little one as a baby. He coos and smiles nearly the entire time he is awake. He absolutely adores his sister and she adores him. This relationship between the two of them makes me smile every single day.

1 comment:
Who could want for more? These 2 beautiful children may seem like a real handful some days but we are blest to enjoy their smiles and the many ways they fill our lives.
Sounds like Emmett enjoys eating and what a wonderful long sleep he's giving you! Enjoy it while you can.
Love, Nana & Papa
Post a Comment