Thursday, September 6, 2012

kindergarten!

For weeks, maybe even months, we have anticipated this day.  The first day of Kindergarten!  The start of the next chapter for Anna - her elementary school career.  Over the course of the past week we have visited her school, met her teacher, played on the playground she will enjoy at recess, visited the bus stop and had many conversations about what she will do and learn in Kindergarten, proper bus etiquette, and what it means to be a good friend and a good student.  She is prepared and ready in every way I can imagine.  And now she is there.  She's there in her classroom with her new teacher, her new friends and some new independence!

Last night I walked into her room to see she had set out her 1st day outfit - complete from hair accessories to shoes - all of which she picked out herself.  She woke up this morning promptly at 6:30 and declared that she wanted a "healthy" breakfast before school - BOTH pancakes and scrambled eggs.  She took pictures eagerly and then when it was time...picked up her backpack and headed to the bus stop with a smile - WITH her hand planted firmly in her daddy's.

I wish I had a picture of that.  That picture in my head captured all that this day and this moment is about.  The crossroads between her first foray into independence - and the desire for reassurance and support from the ones who love her most.  That's our little girl - strong and confident on the outside, sensitive at the core.

The sadness that has accompanied these past few weeks has caught me by surprise.  I am not fearful of what Anna will experience or how she will do.  I know in my heart her kindergarten experience will be amazing, and she will likely LOVE school.  I am, however, sad that 6 years have passed by so quickly.  For 6 years Anna and I have been home together.  I have learned about motherhood both with and from her - from the highest highs to the lowest lows.  She has provided the running commentary to my day-to-day activities and I have had the privilege to witness first-hand all of her experiences.  Her "firsts" have been mine too.

So, here we are at the beginning of a brand new adventure.  The next chapter.  I don't know what this year will bring but I do anticipate great things.  It's a joy to see our little Anna blossom into a self-confident, joyful, caring, intelligent little girl...we couldn't be more proud!  And I can't wait to hear about her very first day!





Emmett took this picture!!


3 new kindergarteners!

Look at this HUGE bus stop!!!!



She made it to school - still smiling!


No comments: