Tuesday, February 19, 2008

answered prayers

Sometimes it feels like you can pray, but no one is listening. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in a cycle where something feels off, or wrong and you don't know what to do. It's easy then to obsess, worry, overthink and ultimately work yourself into a place that you don't want to be.

I was there a number of weeks ago. I let on a little bit that the winter was getting long, and that I didn't know how to keep my little one entertained through the hours of the day when going outside was not an option. In truth, it was not the little one who needed something more, it was me. I was bored & restless...and in this mindset I began to question my decision to stay home, what I should be doing, my effectiveness as a mother...you see, the cycle. I was embarrassed, overwhelmed and frustrated with my feelings. I prayed about this daily.

Just when my angst reached its peak, my calendar began to fill. Friends called and wanted to get together. Neighbors invited us to join playgroups. We met new people in the classes we were enrolled in and talked about things we could do in the future. Suddenly our calendar had something on it everyday for 3 weeks. He was listening.

Today we bundled up and made the trek to a neighbor's house for the morning. There were 3 other women and their children there (9 children including Anna). While it's cold here today, I decided to walk the few blocks so we could get some fresh air. The picture above was taken on our way there.

This was one of many activities we have had in the past few weeks that has brightened our days. I feel like my head has cleared and while spring may still be many weeks away...we have some sunshine in our home and in our hearts. So I too can rest easy again.


(Like Anna, pictured here on the way home)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Ahh Christa. Lovely post, I'm so happy for your answered prayer and the blessing of company on these cold, cooped up days.

I think every winter for the past 3 years, I have questioned my decision to stay home with Ava. Then the snow melts and we're back at the park and then the lake, and I'm so happy to be home.

Anonymous said...

These long cold days are difficult for all of us but when looking for some positives, they can be found.
I'm glad to know this time of "darkness" in your life has brought you new friendships with neighbors. When the snow melts and we can be outside again, we will have an even greater appreciation for sun, grass, breezes, flowers, trees and LIFE !

This time of resting (and restlessness) brings us to a new season. The days are getting longer and soon more signs of spring will be discovered.

"This is the day the Lord has made.
Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Penny said...

Winters are always so hard....I remember walking the mall, taking my boys on a sled-walk. You do have to get creative, don't you? You are blessed beyond a doubt to be able to stay home and give Anna a great start. God will and does answer those prayers and open lots of doors to get out and do things and meet people. Those Minnesota winters are just a bit too long!