Today this little man turns 9 weeks old. I can hardly believe that 9 weeks have passed since the day we welcomed this sweet one into our lives and into our hearts. In these past 9 weeks I have learned a lot about little boys. Oh, how different life is with #2.
First, there are the diapers. I remember going through many diapers the first few weeks of Anna's life but after a few months things tapered off. This does not appear to be the case with our Mr. Man. One diaper is filled and no less than 30 mins later another can be full and leaking out the back. We went from size 1 diapers two weeks ago to size 3 diapers today. I don't think Anna entered size 3 until she was well into her 7th or 8th month of life.
Then, there is the eating. Emmett can still eat like a champ. It is only 1:30pm and he has already had over 20oz. of breastmilk. This is what we tried to get Anna to eat in a 24 hr. period. I am happy he is such a good eater...I think because he eats well he is more content throughout the day.
But then there is the sleeping. Emmett's nights are all over the place. We have seen him go 8 hours between feedings, and yet there are nights when he will only make it 2 or 3 hours between. Lately he has consistently had a 5+ hr stretch in the night, sometimes as long as 8. Our bigger issue is daytime sleep. Emmett loves his morning nap and I almost always have to wake him up after 2 hours. Today I let him sleep because we were at ECFE and I was happy playing with Anna and he slept for 3.5 hrs. But after his morning nap, things get a little more messy.
Emmett does NOT like to sleep during the day anywhere other than in his swing, his carseat (on the go) or in my arms. This week I am trying to get him acquainted with his bassinet or crib for naps and he is not having it. I can put him in there asleep and after 5 mins he will wake up screaming. Crying it out with this child is going to be much more painful...that is very evident.
It's especially hard on me because all he wants is his mommy. The moment I enter his room and pick him up he calms down and flashes me one of these:

And then I cuddle him and tell him it's ok but that he needs to sleep in his bed and he looks at me like this:

"I don't know mom, that's what you think. I wanna cuddle."
And I am not sure what it is - if it's because I know he doesn't have the fiercely independent nature his big sis did, or if it's because I see how much he loves his mommy, or if it's because I fear this child may be our last, or if it's because his smiles just melt my heart - whatever the reason, I can't seem to hold my ground.
I find myself acting different this time around. At 8 weeks in ECFE a baby is supposed to go to the childcare area rather than to class with the mom and the older sibling. I found myself negotiating with the teacher today for one more month of having him in the classroom with me. Even though he just sits in his carseat and sleeps, I feel more comfortable with him close by.
And while I have no issues being away from him, getting out and having time alone with no kids, I have an issue with letting a stranger take care of him. Maybe I never was faced with this at this point - this young - with Anna, but I don't remember this feeling.
The other feeling that is new this time around is the feeling that he is not getting enough attention. Anna is a bright light, she attracts all those around her with her energy and her zest for life. I love this about her. But in many ways it takes away from the attention this little one receives. After having 2.5 yrs of alone time with Anna, I am very aware of the fact that little Emmett needs this one-on-one time as well.

This is not always easy with a 2.5 yr old who is enamored with her little brother. That said, I am so happy she has taken on her big sister role with a vengence. She introduces everyone, and I mean everyone (even checkers and baggers at the grocery store) to her "new baby brother, his name is Emmett and I am a big sister".
I look at this little man and I can't help but smile. He is so unique, so special to me and I am 100% enamored with this little baby. I remember worrying late in my pregnancy about how I could possibly love another child as much as I love Anna. And now I look into these eyes and into this sweet face and I see that every child is so unique. My love for each child is equal, yet I love them in different ways, and different qualities touch my heart. I am so very, very blessed and I thank God for these lovely children who grace my life.

2 comments:
What a beautiful post Christa! He is such a sweet little guy...I totally understand why you don't want to put him down! :)
Tanya and I loved the pics of Emmett - he's developing such an adorable little personality! I can wait to see you again this weekend! It's so wonderful to see you as a mother - you have made a beautiful family.
Love,
Uncle P
Post a Comment