Monday, May 17, 2010

where to begin

It's been so long since I have posted that it's hard to know where to begin. Since Emmett has become more mobile, my life has changed dramatically. Always on the go, Emmett is very interested in learning about his surroundings. Blink for just one second and he is gone...standing in the pantry, on top of several boxes he stacked up, reaching for a bag of crackers. Or he's opening the drawers of some cabinet he shouldn't be in. Or he's opening the screen door headed for the great outdoors.

Anna was a busy baby, and I thought there was no way Emmett could be the same. Wrong again! He is just as busy, and in a different way - in a much more physically daring way. He takes chances that Anna didn't at this age and is very interested in all things motor related.

Where to begin...Emmett had his 15 month appointment last month and we discovered that he has thinned out tremendously! He is long (32.5 in - 90th percentile) and lean (23.5 lbs - 30th percentile) with a lot of brains (his head is over the 100th percentile)! He is healthy, happy and showing us new pieces of his personality each day.

We got to see some of this at a wedding Anna, Emmett and I attended with Grandma Mary early this month. While Anna tore up the dance floor, Emmett joined her and was shaking it with the best of them. The lights were very fascinating too!

Anna's first year of preschool is wrapping up, and with this comes mixed emotions for both of us. Equally eager to grow up and experience the next thing, and sad to say goodbye to her current teachers whom Anna LOVES, Anna is not quite sure what she is feeling. I think it changes by the hour, or the half hour. Three and a half is filled with emotions, contradictions, challenges with "I can do it myself" and "I just can't do it!", and more. But most of all this stage is truly fun. A few weeks ago I had the privilege to accompany Anna on a field trip to our local zoo with her preschool class. Despite a rainy day, we had a great time. They had a special class called "Fur, Feathers, Scales and Slime" for the kids - during which they got to learn about what different animals "wear". They even got to see some animals up close and personal, and their favorite part...they got to pretend to BE the animals.


And who came to the rescue when I couldn't find a babysitter to watch Emmett so Anna could go on this fieldtrip? Why, Papa of course! We had a fun few days spending time with him too - he and Emmett cruised around Home Depot checking things out. I think they BOTH were in heaven!

Shortly after that we celebrated Mother's Day and Uncle Matt's birthday with a BBQ at our house. It was a wonderful day, during which I was spoiled royally by Steve and the kids. Lots of laughs, sunshine, good food, a few fun (and fancy) surprises and good company. It was a great day!








And this is what happens when you attempt a picture of Grandma and her three grandchildren. I think these might be worth more than a thousand words...

No comments: