Monday, May 23, 2011

bittersweet goodbyes



Last Friday was Anna's last day of preschool for the year. While another year comes to a close, it is a bittersweet time! With the temperatures warming up and the promise of parks and picnics and time in the sun and water in our heads, we are certainly excited about the summer fun that lies ahead. But at the same time, it's hard to believe another school year has passed, and for Anna it's a time filled with lots of goodbyes.


For the past 2 years Anna has attended the same preschool, with many of the same children. She has enjoyed many hours in the classroom each week with them, as well as many playdates, birthday parties, and other celebrations outside of school hours. Nearly all of these 20 kids will be heading off to various kindergarten programs next year - and so, this week it is time to say goodbye to most of these friends.

Today we enjoyed an end-of-the year program in her classroom. The teachers and children performed many of their favorite songs, poems and prayers from throughout the year. We were treated to a slideshow and a cookies and milk reception following the program...it was a fun (and a little sad!) way to end another wonderful year.


As I look through Anna's folder with pictures from the first day, all the way through to the last week - it's amazing to see the growth that she experienced in this year. Not only physically, but academically, socially, emotionally and even spiritually. I am so grateful for her wonderful teachers who showered her with love and for the many, many friendships she formed throughout the past few years. It's been a year of tremendous growth and so much laughter - I know I will remember it fondly, and I am sure Anna will too.


While her friends will move on to elementary school next year, Anna and 2 of the boys from her class will move to the classroom across the hall for the High 5's program. While in some ways I wish she could be going off to school surrounded by the people she has come to know and love, I am also very grateful for another year to have her close to home and for more time to enjoy her laughter. I know her brother will appreciate that too!


Congratulations Anna on another wonderful preschool year! We are so proud of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anna,
You have had such a fun year at school and we know that each coming year will be filled with new friends, lots of learning and great fun. We enjoyed meeeting many of your friends and your teachers. What a wonderful place to grow and "glow".
Have a fun summer!
Love, Nana & Papa