Friday, June 3, 2011

soccer!



This spring Anna is playing on her first "real" soccer team! After spending last spring playing soccer through the Park and Rec program, Anna decided she liked it enough to try a "real" team. So, every Tuesday and Thursday we have been heading to the soccer field for practice and games.

On a team with 7 other 5 year olds, Anna is in her element! She has an opportunity to laugh, run, score, giggle, run, do cartwheels, dribble, sing, RUN and so much more. It's been a great experience for her and for me too! Anna missed the cut-off date for age by a few short weeks, but I asked if she could still play. The answer...."yes, as long as you coach". So...here we are!

As the coach of 8 five year old girls I have learned A LOT about this age, about Anna and even about myself. It's been a wonderful experience and I am so happy I was able to do this (thank you Steve!) It didn't take long for me to remember why I loved soccer for most of my younger life. We practice every week for an hour on Tuesday evenings (games every Thursday) - and our practices are filled with a few drills/games and a lot of cartwheels, singing, giggling, and goofing around. Fortunately even with all of that, I think they are learning at least a little bit!

This weekend is their big Soccer Jamboree, where the "Orange Unicorns" (yes, they named themselves) will play 3 games in the afternoon. It should be a fun and exciting adventure!

No comments: