Really, I should have known better. We learned the first time around that the terrible 2's have nothing on age 3.
Teacher at Mom's Day Away: "We saw a new side of Emmett today. Typically he's so agreeable and today he wanted to make his preferences known!"
Helper at Church Nursery: "We've never had a problem with Emmett, until today. Today he was picking on another little girl, taking away her toys and when he was reprimanded he kicked the toy!"
Preschool: "We had to have a talk with Emmett today because he doesn't like the girls and is only nice to the boys."
Overheard in the hallway: "Oh no Emmett, lets not hit."
Overheard in the car:
Anna - "Emmett, when someone hits you at school what do you do?"
Emmett - "Hit 'em!"
Anna - "No, no...what do you do?"
Emmett - "Bang 'em!"
Anna - "Oh no! That's naughty"
I've recently become that mom at Target weaving through the aisles getting groceries at warp speed because her child is screaming - and I mean air it all out screaming at the top of their lungs - over the injustice of not getting exactly what he wants when he wants it.
In fact, just this weekend it was my child screaming, hitting, flailing and stomping with fists pumping all the way through the church atrium, past the people heading to their cars, right by the pastor and out the door - because he didn't get a donut after his performance in the nursery.
Fire red hair, fire red temper.
Hey, maybe he'll be a firefighter.
I know, I know, it's normal. It's part of exerting independence and learning boundaries and Emmett finding and expressing his own voice. (I just wish it were his voice he was actually finding more often than his little fists.) I know that much like the month of March, the 3's can come roaring in like a ferocious lion. And I know that somewhere on the other side of this stage/phase or whatever you want to call it, our little lamb will return. Just don't say I didn't warn you. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment