Thursday, January 29, 2009

in gratitude

Over the course of the past several weeks, many people have extended their offers of help to myself and Steve as we prepared to give birth to our 2nd child. Not one who accepts help very easily - it took me awhile to just give in and accept the offers that were sent our way. For several nights before baby Emmett was born Anna spent the nights at Grandma Mary's, or Grandma Mary spent the night here. On Tuesday of last week we asked Papa to come and stay with us to help lighten the load as I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable and chasing after Anna was becoming difficult. Little did he know that as he was walking in the door - we would be walking out heading to the hospital.


Papa, Nana, & Grandma Mary all spent a ton of time with Anna while we were in the hospital, and once I returned home. Their help with Anna, the baby and around the house was nothing short of incredible. I know for certain that Anna would have had a much tougher transition - and I a much longer recovery - had it not been for their assistance. With all of my heart I thank you.



The phone calls, emails, facebook messages, visits and more from relatives and friends have been treasured as well. Thank you for taking an interest in our lives and for your excitement about our new addition!

Since the grandparents have gone back home or gone back to work - Anna, Emmett and I are making our transition to days with just the 3 of us, and evenings with the 4 of us. With very cold weather and an exuberant toddler, this has not been an easy feat. Yesterday we took our first outing out of the house...I can tell you that I most certainly burned more calories trying to get myself and 2 little ones dressed, changed, fed, packed up and out the door before 9am than I used to burn playing an entire soccer game. By the time we reached our destination, I needed another shower.


This is just one of many things that will get easier with time, and practice. Anna has been very good with the transition thus far - just some issues with whining when she doesn't get her way, and a constant quest for my attention when I am feeding Emmett. Most other times she is interested in helping and eats up any praise that is directed her way for being a "great" big sister.

Again, we thank you for your love and prayers as we transition into a family of 4. Thank you for your help and the interest & time you pour into our children. We are a stronger family because of it.

2 comments:

Penny said...

This is when it really gets hard living so far away! We are so glad, though, that we will be home next week and be able to share your joy! And, by the way, I think I was the thinnest I ever was when I had two under 2 years old!

Anonymous said...

Grandparents have the right to be proud and we've popped the buttons on our shirts over these grandchildren! It was a very special joy for us to be with all of you shortly after Emmett's birth. You have a wonderful family and we are so proud of the many great ways you are parenting.
We are counting the days until we see you all again. Thank you for inviting us to be an active part in your lives. We love you!
Papa & Nana