Thursday, February 5, 2009

mr. man

Here he is, the man of the hour! I should specify and say "the four o'clock hour". Our dear little one here likes to wake (not for the first time) somewhere between 4 and 4:30am to eat, and then has quite a bit of trouble going back to sleep. He tends to fall back to sleep right around 6am, mere moments before our eldest starts yelling from her room. So, I am slowly getting acquainted with waking up for the day in the "4's".

That said, Emmett has been a very easy baby thus far. He continues to eat well - if he eats from a bottle he will easily eat between 2 and 3 ounces at a feeding. I remember coaxing Anna to try and eat 1 oz when she was this age. So, needless to say he is growing! He already feels heavier in my arms, and he is getting stronger by the day. Emmett will try to hold his neck up and will kick his little legs out straight to try and stand while I burp him. Quite the character!

I do find it interesting that everything I suspected about him while he was in the womb has turned out to be true thus far. While developing inside me Emmett didn't kick or move around a whole lot until the last few weeks when he was running out of room. I thought he would be a laid-back baby...which he seems to be so far.

I also had a suspicion that he would be a cuddler. I have no idea why, I just thought he might be - maybe because he would always react to my voice and to Anna's - he would kick or roll over gently when we read stories or sang songs. Sure enough, he LOVES to cuddle with his mommy. If he's upset, I pick him up and he will look into my eyes and listen to my voice and will typically calm right down. He loves to fall asleep in my arms, or in the sling with his head right up where he can hear my heart beat. This is a real treat for me!

Emmett also reacts well to Anna's voice. She will talk to him when he cries, put his nuk in his mouth, sing to him, or rock him (not so gently) in his bouncy chair. He definitely knows who she is!

The one thing that has been a surprise is how NOISY this little man is. When he sleeps, when he eats, when he is just resting in his chair with his eyes open, he is always making noise. He squeaks, or purrs like a kitten, or flat-out cries/screams in his sleep for a few minutes, slurps, gasps and everything in between. Perhaps he is trying to have his voice heard over all of the other sounds in our home...who knows. I had to move him into his nursery 2 nights ago just because he doesn't stop making very loud noises all night long!

It's hard to believe that 2 weeks have passed already since Emmett's birth. And at the same time, it's hard to believe it has only been 2 weeks. In many ways I can't remember what it was like without him here. I am mastering the art of getting around town with 2 kids...on multiple occasions everyone has been bathed, dressed, changed, fed, bundled up and out the door before 9am. We have gone to ECFE class, to a neighbor's to play, to the hair salon (for Anna), and even the grocery store. I consider these outings my "gym time" since I am typically dripping in sweat by the time I return home. But, getting out and staying busy is what keeps me sane and happy...so we do it!

In the week to come my brother will be wed to his lovely bride Tanya and we have so many fun events to look forward to! Granka and Grandma Penny are in town and will be stopping by later today to meet their new grandson, and more introductions will be made in the days and weeks to come to more family and friends. What a busy and fun time! Now we'll just have to convince mr. man to keep his eyes open for at least part of it (and not just at 4am)!

3 comments:

Allison said...

He's too cute! I'm glad you're adjusting to life with 2. I love that at 2 weeks he's already establishing his personality. Hopefully he'll turn into a later riser for you soon :)

Anonymous said...

Mr Emmett. It is good to hear you are eating good and often.We can't wait to come up and baby sit with you and Anna next weekend. Love Nana &Papa

Anonymous said...

Mr Emmett. It is good to hear you are eating good and often.We can't wait to come up and baby sit with you and Anna next weekend. Love Nana &Papa