Thursday, March 11, 2010

green-eyed monster

No, this isn't Emmett's new nickname, although his eyes are a little green (and he can be a little monster at times). And no, I am not referring to the leprechans who are likely to visit our home in just under a week. Instead I am hinting at the emotion our eldest has toward the baby in the family as of late.

Despite declaring her love for "sweetie boy Emmett", Anna also has a little case of jealousy when it comes to the attention her little brother commands right now. On the verge of walking, Emmett requires near constant monitoring and attention. If he's not walking around holding on to my hands, he's walking along the furniture or standing up in the middle of the room taking a few steps and then crashing into something (ow!), or hanging on my leg screaming because he is so frustrated with the fact that he cannot yet do what he so desires.

While he struggles with this physical feat, Anna struggles emotionally - reverting back to baby-like behaviors to get attention, misbehaving and physically tormenting her brother. If I had $1 for every time I have to say "keep your hands to yourself" or "Anna, we do not hit" I would be a very wealthy woman.

The other day I heard for what is likely not going to be the last time "You love Emmett more than me Mommy!". Oh boy...that one stung.

So, we carve out special one-on-one moments when we can. We talk about feelings, and how to work through them. We talk about love and how there is so much to go around for everyone. We hug and cuddle. We also issue time-outs and alone time to calm down. And some days we go just a little bit nuts.

3 comments:

Scott said...

This sounds very familiar...except we have a blue-eyed monster! Hang in there. And I love the posting of Emmett's expressions...so cute!!!-Molly

Anonymous said...

While this behavior is not desired, you can be sure it's very normal. I think you are handling it in the very best way. This too shall pass.
Perhaps Anna's vacation will be important time away and we can help her to understand that she is able to do this because she's older and special.
We can hardly wait!
Love, Nana & Papa

The Bagan's said...

Would Anna like to borrow Isabella's Cheerios box? It was when Isabella was 3-1/2 that she used to place the cereal box between her and Eli at breakfast so she didn't have to look at him ;) Hang in there, you're a wonderful mom!