On Sunday, Steve and I ventured out to the legendary Lambeau Field to watch the Green Bay Packers take on the Washington Redskins. As I mentioned earlier, this is something Steve and I have done together for the past 4 years, but is something that Steve and his family have done for many, many years.The first year I went to Lambeau I was very ill-prepared for what I was about to encounter. I don't think I had ever been to an outdoor football game, with the exception of high school and college - so this was a new experience from that regard. If I remember correctly, that morning we arrived in Green Bay at least 2+ hours prior to kick-off. We parked in a lot a few blocks from the stadium...and by "lot", I mean someone's yard. And this is no ordinary yard. No sirree.
This is a yard filled with cars and people, tailgating, yelling, laughing, and drinking. Banquet tables lined up with food piled on it. Grills filled with steaks, brats, pork chops, and who knows what else. It even has "his" and "hers" port-o-pottys. In the yard.
And then there are the fans. Dressed in green and gold from head to toe. Cheese heads, cheese ties, even cheese bras. Really.

On the really cold days you have to look a little harder to see the green and gold as it's typically covered up in blaze orange and camoflage. Fans arrive straight out of their tree stands - blaze orange OVER the green and gold. Camoflage pants, sweatshirts, jackets. And my personal favorite...the most recent kill sitting, plunk, right on top of their heads in the form of a hat. Eyes facing forward, legs hanging down over the head. It is truly a sight to behold.
Over the years our visits to Lambeau have become more and more fun for me. They have always been fun...but I find myself slowly moving from poking fun, and sitting with my mouth hung open at the sheer insanity of what I am seeing....to, looking for my own Packer paraphenelia to wear to the next game. Sorry Matt!
I have even learned a little bit about how the game is played. Despite "watching" (ok, talking to friends while a game was on in the background) LOTS of football games over the years, I really had no idea what they were doing on the field. I didn't know what 1st and 10 meant or any of that stuff. Last year I was so kindly advised by the intoxicated gentleman sitting next to me at the game that there is in fact NOT a 55 yard line. Oops!
I am thankful to my in-laws for providing me with the experience that is Lambeau. Steve and I enjoy it every year.


Top left: Stopping at the "Piggly Wiggly" grocery store (that name cracks me up every time I say it) to get some beer for tailgating
Top right: Steve in all his glory at the tailgate lot
Bottom: Pre-game pics of Lambeau
1 comment:
What a tribute to Lambeau Field and the Green Bay Packers. We knew you'd become a fan quickly. It's a unique and fun experience to go to any game. We're glad you enjoyed it. Great pictures and description. We hope they have another Super Bowl year!
Jim & Norma
Post a Comment