Friday, October 31, 2008

28 weeks

Updated to add: I discovered I did not pass my glucose test and will have the long test on Sunday morning. Hopefully I will pass that one! I had to take the long one with Anna too, and it turned out ok. We'll see!

Yesterday I had my 28 week appointment, which consisted of a regular check up where the doctor discusses any issues with me, measures my uterus and listens to the baby's heartrate. At 28 weeks it is also standard to have a glucose test - which tests for gestational diabetes (diabetes that occurs only during pregnancy). This test involves drinking about 10oz. of basically sugar-water (not good) and then having your blood drawn an hour later.

Due to timing, Anna accompanied me to my visit. She was excited to see what happened when mommy went to the doctor. She sat patiently in her stroller, talking to her baby Titus as we waited for my doctor to arrive. After about 15 mins she announced to me that she was going to call for Dr. Baram. She then put her hands up next to her mouth and yelled on the top of her lungs "Dr. Baram! Dr. Baram!" Oh boy, I am sure he loved that! Needless to say, he showed up a few minutes later. He was excited to meet Anna, whom he had helped deliver a few years ago.

My uterus measures 28 cm, which is right where you should be for 28 weeks. The baby's heartrate was quite slow this time around, only 122bpm. I thought it might be lower this time because yesterday the baby was very quiet. Only a few kicks here and there, and he turned around so that his back is facing my bellybutton. I can tell this because I can feel the kicks and jabs on my back and on my internal organs. I am hoping he turns again soon! :)

Anna's face lit up as she heard baby's heartbeat...she asked "what's that?" and when we told her it was the baby she got a HUGE smile on her face. She told Dr. B and his student assistant all about being a big sister, and about the Dora crackers she was eating. Ahhh, to be 2.

I am still waiting on the results of my glucose test, but hopefully I passed and will not need to return for the longer 3 hour test. Baby seems to be doing well and I am feeling quite good these days!

No comments: