Monday, October 27, 2008

third trimester

As I watch my daughter growing up faster and faster each day, I am frequently reminded of the new baby that is about to enter our family. This little one is determined to make his or her presence known, as his kicks and jabs are becoming stronger by the day. Gone are the days where baby was curled up into a tight little ball. Now this little one (nearly 14 inches long from head to toe) stretches and kicks so fiercely that you can see my stomach moving as he does.

Baby Moses responds to our voices - when I read stories to Anna he (or she!) is very active. When Anna kisses my stomach and says hi, she is greeted with a jab by her mouth. When Steve talks to the baby he is rewarded with jabs and turns as baby tries to communicate back. Perhaps this little one is destined to be as active as his or her big sis.

The countdown on our blog reminds me that we have less than 3 months to go. 3 months that will fly by, as they will be full of activities surrounding the upcoming holidays. As I enter the first week of the 3rd trimester I feel my body and my mind preparing for what lies ahead. My energy level is higher than it was in previous weeks, but the ease with which I can move around is decreasing slightly. I often bump into things with my baby bump, not remembering that I can't squeeze through things I once could. Or, I roll over in the night thinking wow, my stomach feels weird - and then remember there is a baby there getting some exercise.

My sleep is interrupted with thoughts about our expanding family. I am looking forward to this baby's arrival, and I know that Steve and Anna are as well. I have some anxiety over how I will work the daily logistics of an infant and a very active 2 year old, and how I will give each their own special time with mom & dad, but I know that those things will work themselves out over time. I also wrestle with questions of if/when I should return to work and whether or not this baby will be our last. Fortunately I have a loving husband who reminds me that these are not decisions that need to be made now, or anytime soon, and brings me back to enjoying the present moment.

The baby's room is filling up with diapers and onesies, blankets and burp rags. The swing and bouncy seat are coming out of storage and each week we get a little closer to this dream becoming a reality.

Now, we just need to settle on some names. While our list of girl names is set, our list for boys is lagging...please pass on any suggestions you may have!

No comments: