

I must admit, it's a bit of a challenge getting used to juggling two under three. It seems one of you are crying, needs a change (or needs to use the potty), needs to be played with, needs a cuddle, needs to be fed, or needs a nap at all times. I am trying to soak up the precious moments, like our snuggles together on the couch - or my "dates" with each of you individually. And then somewhere in there I am trying to find time to rest, to pick-up, and to do a few things for myself. This balancing act is one I have not yet conquered and I think it may take some time.
It was just this week that it seems to have settled in that this is life as we know it. Not only is it a difficult transition for me, it appears to be taking it's toll on Anna as well. Her mornings are now beginning at 6 and from the moment her eyes open the pleas to "play with me" begin. Just yesterday she asked me "is baby going to stay here mommy"? While she told me she was happy he was going to stay here forever - we have noticed a few behavior changes. These take on many forms throughout the day, some of which include tearing pages out of books, throwing toys off the balcony, hitting, whining, wetting pants, and tantrums when attention is directed elsewhere. While this was expected, it is not particularly easy to deal with some days. On Friday when I dropped her off at "school" for the morning she told me "Miss Briana and Miss Alyssa will play with me" (as if I didn't feel bad enough!).
Much to my delight, this morning Anna and I enjoyed a special date just the two of us. We ran errands and found a special green headband ("just like Bella's!" - Andrea, she adores your daughter) to match her green dress and then went out to lunch. During our lunch I was smothered with kisses and hugs and the Anna I know and love returned. Obviously this is as hard for her as it is for me.
But in the midst of toddler turmoil, there is this sweet little baby who makes me want to have 5 more. Emmett remains a content and cuddly little boy. With the exception of a few tummy aches that leave him fussy and fighting sleep - he is a content, low-key baby. He eats well, sleeps well and is enjoying more and more awake time throughout the day. He still loves to cuddle and will not drift off to sleep unless he is cradled in the arms of a loved one. This presents its challenges, but I have told myself not to worry about it for a few weeks yet and to enjoy it while he is so small. He'll be jumping out of his big boy bed before we know it so I'll take these cuddles - even if it is 3am.
Speaking of nights and sleep - Emmett has had a few nights where he has gone 4 hours between feedings - and last night he went over 5 hours! What a treat! I anticipate that this will become more common as he is awake longer during the day and as he continues to gain weight. We will not return to the doctor for another month, so I am not sure how much he has gained or how much he has grown but I would guess it's quite a bit. Look at the difference between these two at 1 month old!


While many have commented that they look so much alike, I really don't think they could look any more dissimilar! From hair to skin tone to size to features, they are very distinctly unique. I love them both tremendously and it's so fun to see how they develop.
One month, mr. man. Wow! In the next few weeks I suspect we will see you begin to smile - a treat I await with sweet anticipation. Until then, we keep on plugging, adjusting to our new schedule and the chaos and joys it carries with it.
2 comments:
What a little cutie... Glad you are all adjusting and that things are going well. Fun times.
Love, Granka
No matter how one thinks they are prepared for the addition of another baby, it seems like reality hits hard sometimes. Both of these little ones require much time and attention and you are giving all you have - for sure. In months and years to come, if this diary wasn't written, you'd long forget how these demands changed your days. Very soon spring will be here and all the outdoor adventures will begin.
We enjoy your blog entries and love all the pictures. Wish we could be there more.
Nana & Papa
Post a Comment