Sunday, September 13, 2009

first day of preschool


This big three year old began preschool this week. Wednesday Auntie Tanya came to spend some time with Mr. Magoo while I accompanied Anna to her first (shortened) day of preschool. I got to help show her around, introduce her to others in the class, explore the room with her and more. I knew she would love the room, the setup and all the fun things they had to offer and Anna was certainly not disappointed. From the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree in the reading corner to the science table, the discovery table, the kitchen/house area to every nook and cranny - if there was something to be seen/felt/explored - Anna did it and loved it.

Friday was her first day on her own and I must admit I was a little sad when I dropped her off. I didn't know how she would react. She seldom has a hard time separating and I feared that this might be the one time she melted given this was such a new environment. I had nothing to worry about. After playing with her for 10 mins I told her I was going to go - I got a huge hug and a kiss, she said goodbye and then ran up to high 5 her teacher and tell her that she "said goodbye already, and I'm not sad, it's ok".

When I returned to get her, Emmett asleep in the car, I was early and sat reading in the parking lot. Much to my delight I watched Anna's class file out of the building and around the sidewalk to the back (the playground) and got to see Anna in her dress and brown suede loafers - doing her best to stay in her straight line. Her little bobbed head watching her feet and then deliberately looking behind her to see if the little boy in back of her was indeed following her. She looked so grown up I actually cried.

Preschool most definitely is a great thing for her. She is enjoying it so far, and together we have enjoyed her homework projects as well. It's such a fun way to spend time together and to get her talking about her day.

Cheers to the start of the school year!

1 comment:

PATRICK said...

Great post Christa!...it makes me wish I could have been there. I can just picture her having a blast, and being so darn cute.

All our love,
Uncle Patrick & Auntie Tanya