Thursday, February 22, 2007

One Word

For the past month, ever since I read the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, I have been trying to think of the one word that underlines my life. Deep thoughts, I know...but this book really made me wonder - and I have been trying to figure it out ever since.

Essentially, the book is a young woman's diary of her journeys through Italy, India and Indonesia - where she learns lessons about life, faith and love. Anyway, while in Italy an Italian man was explaining to her that "every city has a single word that defines it, that identifies most people who live there. If you could read people's thoughts as they were passing you on the streets of any given place, you would discover that most of them are thinking the same thought. Whatever that majority thought might be - that is the word of the city". And then he asks her "What's your word?"

Can you really boil your life and who you are down to one word? I think you probably can - there is likely one word that gets at the heart of you...but what is it? For me, is it mom? No, while that's a big part of me, I don't think that would be my one word. I also wonder - what will Anna's be? Who will she become?

Just something fun to think about on this random day in February...what is your one word?

4 comments:

PATRICK said...

I'm not sure what my one word is...maybe "loud", "laughter", or something along those lines?!?...I know if I had to choose one word for Anna, it'd be "CUTE!". Yep...that about sums it up! :)

Anna said...

Keep thinking...that's not the word I would choose for you! Maybe "achieve", or "drive", or "feeling"? Have a great day bro! Love, Big Sis

jdyer said...

What an intriguing thought. When I have considered one word for myself, I keep coming back to "traveler". Not the kind of traveler who spends hours on planes, cars, or trains to see some special part of the world...but as someone who believes so much that my life has been a journey...one which my parents never could have chosen or imagined. I have felt guided and directed by many special people in my life and believe strongly that God has been at every turn showing me the way. My journey so far has brought me a wonderful husband, 2 very special children, a great profession which I have loved for 39 years, and now...a beautiful daughter and very special grandchild. I believe that Anna's journey will also be guided by special caring people but we have no idea where her travels will take her. We trust, we hope and we love her! She too will be a traveler..on a journey to where she will find happiness.
Grandma Dyer

Anna said...

That's a great word Norma! Thanks for sharing with us! Love, Christa