Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Day For Moms

Foreward: For someone who spends nearly every waking hour with our daughter, my wife gets precious little mention on this blog. The reason for this, of course, is that until about five seconds ago, I hadn't the slightest idea how to make an entry on this running narrative of our daughter's life. Now I know.

As I told Christa this morning, one short day to celebrate all that a mom does is a pittance. Being a mom can oftentimes be a thankless job. I think back on many of my selfish behaviors growing up, not realizing until I became a dad, that being a parent (and maybe most acutely a mom), means sacrificing whatever is necessary for the well-being of your child. And when I see Christa's thanks for making Anna a meal being that meal purposely tipped over on to the floor, it's clear that a parent needing verbal "thank-yous" from their 20-month old may be waiting a long time.

This isn't to say being a parent isn't fulfilling. The treasures and rewards for raising a child are many. They just aren't often verbally expressed, except perhaps on days like today. So to both of our mothers, as well as to my wonderful wife: Thank you for undertaking your roles as moms with such tireless enthusiasm, grace and selflessness. Kids need moms and we (and Anna) hit the jackpot.
To Christa, thank you so much for all you bring to our family each day. Seeing our daughter thrive with you as her "mommy" is the greatest give you could give us.

We love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful "Mother's Day"
gift in itself. You are a thoughtful nephew, husband, father and son! We love looking at the blog. (It's on my favorites list)
Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

PATRICK said...

We had a great time with you on Mother's Day - thanks for hosting the party, it was a lot of fun, and we can't wait to get together again soon!

You and your daughter look absolutely adorable together, what a great picture!!!

Love,
Uncle Patrick