We seem to be stuck between two stages here in our household. Anna is not yet crawling, but she wants to move so badly. She scoots on her rear a little bit, and turns in complete circles when sitting, or laying down on her back or her front. She practices crawling in her sleep - each time I go to get her from a nap or in the morning she is on her stomach trying to move around. And she has begun a little bit of the army crawl.
However, Anna's frustration in trying to conquer this feat has reached a new peak this week. Normally a very happy and fun little girl, Anna has been yelling on a much more frequent basis. It's not a painful cry, or a sad cry...it's a yell of pure frustration, that she does not quit until someone has helped her accomplish her goal (i.e. take her to what she is pointing at, pick her up, etc).
This has required a whole new level of patience - which I am working on every day. Why wouldn't I be patient. I mean, this is my job. I don't have anything else I have to do. My main job is to take care of this darling little girl. Yet, I find moments when I am very frustrated too - frustrated that my little one can't do what she so wants to do, frustrated that I don't know how to curb the yelling other than to pick her up or help her out (which I fear compounds the problem), and frustrated with myself that I need to ask God for more patience each day.
I know this stage too will pass...and the next one will have it's own challenges, probably bigger than these. Soon I will be chasing this cute little one around the house, the yard and the neighborhood and I will long for the days when she was stationary on the floor reaching up for me to hold her. But, for now it helps to just acknowledge that we are both in fact stuck...Anna in figuring out how to move, and me in figuring out this new stage in motherhood.
2 comments:
Hang in there. Your reward will come for all the patience you have when Anna finally scoots across the floor - and then you will really have to be on your toes chasing after her, making sure she is not getting herself into trouble. You're a great mom.
Love, Grandma Mary
Hopefully Anna's frustration is exactly the motivator needed to help her achieve this next level of movement...crawling. For sure, she will figure out a way to "get there" and it's only a matter of time and further development.
As you say, some day real soon she'll be running (not walking) and you'll wish she would just sit still for a time so you can catch your breath!
Patience is a virtue and you certainly have demonstrated that many times in her first year!
Post a Comment