Wednesday, November 5, 2008

when she's ready

A few months ago we made an attempt at potty training - remember this post? It seemed to go ok for a day or two and then Anna caught a stomach bug from a waterpark and there was no way we could continue. At that time I had put it in my head that if Anna was interested come November we would give it another try the week of Thanksgiving when we didn't have any classes. And if that didn't work, we'd just wait until after the baby.

A few weeks ago when I went to pick up Anna from "Mom's Day Away", I was greeted at the door by a very excited little girl who couldn't wait to tell me that she had gone "poopy on the potty" at school! Her excitement carried into the next morning when she decided to use her potty a few times in exchange for M&Ms. Because I had it in my head that we were not going to start until Thanksgiving, I just didn't push things and only if Anna asked would I put her on her potty chair.

Since then, a few things have happened. 1 - Anna is very interested in the potty. She talks about it a lot. 2 - Anna lets me know the minute she has gone to the bathroom in her diaper and insists that it be changed immediately. Even if it is just the tiniest bit wet. As you can imagine, this means lots of diapers, lots of changes, lots of money. 3 - Anna has learned how to get her pants up and down (with some assistance).

Still convinced that I wasn't going to deal with this until we had a week with no activities I have largely been noting the signs and thinking - a few more weeks. And then...

This morning Anna told me she had to go potty. So, I asked "Do you want to go on the big girl potty?". "YES!" she exclaimed. Off she went. A few M&M's and a sticker later, she was a happy girl. I figured it would just be the one time today and that would be it. Apparently Anna had something else in mind.

As we left for ECFE, and Anna had used the potty one more time successfully, I told her that if she had to go at ECFE to just let me know or Miss Amy or Miss Sandy and that we would help her. I fully expected that this would not happen.

30 minutes into the class Anna told me she had to go. We rushed off to the children's bathroom in the school and Anna successfully went, again. When I was in the other room with the other mom's for our meeting, she asked Miss Amy to help her try again (this time just a try, no success, but still!).

From 7:30am until 12:30pm we had a dry diaper and multiple successes in the potty. What does this mean?! While not convenient, as we have activities every day...apparently this little one is motivated. She wants to wear her Dora underwear, eat her M&M's and stock up on stickers. While I am not ready for underwear unless we are staying home, I guess I must put my preconceived notions aside and let her direct the way. And you know...it's easier this way. I have no expectations. I have no time limit. I have patience. I will just celebrate the successes with her along the way and who knows, maybe come January we will have just one in diapers. Here's to hoping!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Anna :) You are no longer a little girl !

Uncle Nate

PATRICK said...

It's so fun to hear stories like this - I can just imagine her cute little self getting excited to "achieve" something and prove she's so smart. Just like when she showed me how to push the stroller over halloween...you can tell she's going to do well in life already.

Atta girl Anna!