
The moment Anna was born, before even seeing her, I loved her with a fierce love I cannot put into words. I immediately was compelled to protect her, and wanted her to be safe. When talking about what to name her if she was in fact a girl - well into labor at this point - I said to Steve "she needs a nice name, she's had a rough time...let's go with Anna". (She had trouble during delivery because her umbilical cord was so short). I loved her more than I thought my heart could hold.
Who knew this love could get even bigger?
Today, as I asked Anna to go and read a book while mommy cleaned - my heart did backflips as she grabbed her book, carried it into the kitchen, sat on the floor and began to read to me while I scrubbed the counters.

While eating her morning waffles, this love grew ten-fold as I saw her smile and squeal with delight as I sang and danced to her around the table.

As I prepared her lunch I had her sit in her highchair to color a picture for daddy. She happily scribbled away, jabbering "dodd-dee" waiting for her food. This love overflows.

As she grows, my love does too. I know Steve feels the same way. He can't sleep when he hears her cough or toss & turn...his need to protect is so fierce.
In the middle of a number of days when I have been thinking too much about the negative - cold weather, boredom, too much indoor time, not enough to do to entertain ourselves, not enough places to go - today I am reminded of how lucky I am. This precious little thing brings so much joy to my every day, and has taught me how to love in a whole new way.
1 comment:
You both make wonderful parents. It's incredible to see what I once considered to be great people in you and Steve, who could love each other so well, now transform into people who become so selfless and nurturing for that of your family/child. It's fun to watch all of you grow physically/emotionally/spiritually with your new family. It's obvious that Anna feels your love, because I have never met a more well-mannered, and happy child. It's such a joy to see her smile, it warms my heart as her uncle and gives me confidence that she is light-years ahead in life growing up in such a positive, healthy, and loving family environment.
Love you all,
Patrick
Post a Comment